Psychiatric Services

Trusted Medical Professionals Who Will Listen

When an individual counselor determines that medication may be helpful in addition to counseling and psychotherapy, the student can be referred on campus to a Student Health Services Staff Psychiatrist or Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner who will provide consultation regarding potentially useful medications and appropriate follow-up treatment.

If a student does not have the UCSHIP insurance or would like to be seen by a Psychiatrist off campus, the CAPS clinician can provide options for referrals within the community.

How do I make an appointment with on-campus Psychiatric services?
Students must first meet with a staff clinician for a therapy intake session or with an SHS medical provider to be referred for an appointment with one of the Psychiatric Services team members. Intake appointments with a staff clinician can be scheduled after your CAPS brief screening (See Make An Appointment  to start the process as soon as possible). To schedule with a medical provider at Student Health Services, call for an appointment at (951) 827-3031 or make an appointment online.

How do I transfer my care to a staff psychiatrist?
If you are already taking psychiatric medications prescribed by an off-campus provider, and want to transfer care to on-campus psychiatric care, CAPS staff or SHS medical providers will make the referral to on campus psychiatric services.

What if I’m running out of my medication and need an urgent refill?
If you need a prescription refill prior to your psychiatry intake appointment, consult with your current prescribing provider for additional refills to cover you until an on campus Psychiatric provider evaluates you to determine if they can assume your care.

What if I have a psychiatric emergency?
Go to your nearest hospital emergency room, urgent care center, or call 911 for assistance.

What if I want to see a psychiatrist off-campus?
Students with UC SHIP may visit Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Health Services or Case Management to request a mental health referral to seek an Anthem-SHIP provider in the community.