Welcome to UCR's Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
CAPS is here to support you!
We are continuing to provide services via TeleMental Health (phone and secure videoconferencing).
- JOIN A CAPS GROUP - CALL TODAY!
- Call to schedule an Appointment or Virtual Walk-In consultation, 951-827-5531 weekdays 9A-4:30P.
- Watch a message from your CAPS Team
- CAPS stands in solidarity with APIDA and Asian communities
- Access Support Resources for self-help and support from home.
- Read how to access therapy services out of state and a UCSHIP member.
- Visit COVID-19 for campus updates and information, or Student Health for information or for a telephone screening (951-827-3031).
CAPS Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
CAPS is committed to promoting inclusion and the affirmation of individual and cultural diversity. Our services and training foster the development of healthy behaviors necessary for success in a complex global environment.
CAPS is committed to collaborating with our campus and community partners to best inhabit our Principles of Community. We remind you of their presence and some resources for involvement:
- African Students Programs
- Asian Pacific Student Programs
- Chicano Student Programs
- Middle Eastern Student Center
- Native American Student Programs
- Office of Foster Youth Support Services
- Student Disability Resource Center
- Undocumented Student Programs
- Veterans Resource Center
- Women’s Resource Center
- Let's Fight Racism! | United Nations
- 5 Ways to Fight Racism and Xenophobia | UNICEF USA
- Ending racism | American Friends Service Committee
- Stop AAPI | Hate Reporting
- Asian Mental Health Collective
- Asian American Mental Health Collective directory of APISAA therapists
- Bystander Intervention Training to Stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment
- Helping AAPI Families Talk to Children and Teens Exposed to Anti-Asian Bullying and Harassment
Group Therapy Options for Fall 2021
Fall 2021 options are currently under development. Check back in fall quarter for selections.
Fall 2020 Service Updates and Events
Join your CAPS team for our first Virtual Open House Event October 28, 2020!
NEW SERVICES at CAPS:
CAPS is now offering "Virtual Walk-In" Appointments in addition to regular Intake, Individual and Group Appointments. Call 951-827-5531, Select Option 2 to schedule a same day "Virtual Walk-In" Appointment. If you leave a message, you will receive a call back shortly and we will schedule you for a brief consultation with a CAPS clinician. Please Note: This is NOT a crisis line or a therapy visit.
If you are in crisis and urgently want to speak to a counselor, call Call 951-827-5531, Select Option 1 to speak to a crisis counselor 24 hours a day;
For all Life threatening emergencies, call 911 or campus police at 951-827-5222 if on campus.
NOTICE TO CLIENTS
As you may be aware, the World Health Organization has declared the COVID-19 a pandemic. As the nation is working to minimize the spread of the virus, UCR Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is following local, state, and national guidance regarding contingency planning related to our delivery of services.
Currently, CAPS is operating via TeleMental Health sessions only (secure videoconferencing and phone sessions). As we have recently transitioned to a remote Telemental Health platform, we ask for patience as we navigate the new platform and are making every effort to streamline the process of getting connected to a clinician for a remote session.
Your well-being is a top priority, and we want to provide you with as much information as possible to allow you to make informed decisions about your needs and continued clinical care.
- Easy and convenient access. All you need is a smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer with a camera and internet access.
- Zero out of pocket for those with UCSHIP for psychiatry and therapy.
- Short wait times. Most appointments are available within the same week.
- Available to non-UCSHIP insurance plans. Please check to see if your plan has this benefit.
- Use Self-Help Tools mentalhealth.ucr.edu
- Use TAO
- Self help, self-guided: Think of TAO as an online library of engaging, interactive programs to learn life skills and to help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life. As you watch videos and engage with our interactive components, you will gain the knowledge, self-awareness, and skills you need to achieve your goals.
- Flexible to meet your needs: You can complete TAO at your own pace, whether that is just one session a day, or perhaps two whole modules. It is entirely up to you.
- Wide variety to choose from: Using TAO, you will learn from different modules you chose to use! Some of the biggest challenges facing students these days are available; modules on depression, anxiety, anger, stress management and more.
As always, after hours crisis/consultation support will continue to be available. You can reach these services by calling CAPS main line (951) 827-5531 and selecting option 1 or calling the direct line at (877) 211-3684.
Late Arrival Policy update
Late Arrival Policy (Effective 9/23/19)
- You will be marked a “no-show” if you are 15 minutes late to your scheduled appointment.
- If you are less than 14 minutes late to your scheduled appointment, you will be seen for the remainder of the allotted appointment time.
- If you are late to a specified early-arrival appointment, (e.g., an intake appointment) you may be seen for the remainder of the allotted appointment time. And/or you may be scheduled to return another day to complete that appointment. The decision to be seen for the remainder of the time or to be rescheduled will depend on your arrival time and the clinical judgment of CAPS staff.
Student COVID-19 Isolation
For students living on campus who have tested positive for COVID-19 or been exposed to the virus, the Getting Healthy. Keeping Safe brochure provides helpful information and resources for your time in quarantine/isolation.
Online Satisfaction Survey
Please take a few minutes to complete the CAPS Services Satisfaction Survey about your most recent visit. All information will be kept confidential and used solely for quality assurance and improvement.